Why Is My AC Making That Noise?
Air conditioners always make noise while running, but it’s a quiet drone that most people easily tune out. If your AC is making unusually loud noises, you probably need an air conditioning repair. Keep reading to learn the common causes of air conditioner noises and when to call a pro.
Don’t risk wearing out your system by delaying repairs. Heed the warning signs, and contact us to schedule your AC repair.
Common Causes of Strange Noises in AC Systems
The typical hum of operation and the occasional chirping are the only sounds your AC should be making. If you hear anything else, you have a problem requiring repair or replacement.
Here are the most common sounds you’ll likely hear:
- Squealing usually means a fan belt problem that will only get louder until it’s fixed.
- Clicking is more serious than it sounds. A clicking could indicate a potentially dangerous issue with the unit’s electrical system that you don’t want to get worse.
- Buzzing, similar to the vibration of an electric toothbrush, is another sign of a potential electrical problem. Buzzing usually indicates loose wiring, the condenser fan motor, or the contactor relay switch.
- Rattling, banging, or clanking noises can have many causes ranging from twigs or leaves caught in your system to parts becoming loose as your AC nears the end of its service life.
- Hissing or bubbling sounds usually occur when the refrigerant your system needs for cooling is leaking out.
When To Call for Repair
In addition to the above noises, you should also call if you notice:
- Unpleasant or unusual smells
- Weak air from vents
- Warm air
- Inconsistent heating
- Frozen components
- Constant switching on and off
- Unit can’t meet or maintain thermostat settings
Basically, anytime your AC acts strangely or doesn’t perform as well as it should, you need air conditioning repairs. You don’t want to regret putting it off after a small, fixable problem leads to significant damage or a system breakdown.
Choose HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited for AC Repair
When your central AC, heat pump, ductless mini-split, or hybrid unit starts acting up, you need the expertise and years of experience that HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited’s top-class professional technicians bring to every job.
Our technicians get continuous training, so they’re well-equipped to handle any air conditioning problems you may face. No matter the AC issue, you can rely on HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited to resolve it.
If you have any issues with your AC, contact HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited to schedule an appointment for superior service.
What Our Customers are Saying
I had my inspection done by Steven Worthy yesterday and I definitely wanted to make sure you thank him for putting...M. Scozia
Steve just finished the service and did an OUTSTANDING job! Keep up the great work and thank you.K. Lippold
Thank you! Great service. Your employee is first rate. Josue is a nice young man.B. Henry
Great Job changing sump pump by Chase Scott. He also gave me advice and knowledge for keeping and maintaining prop...Azin Razavieh
Chase was super helpful in replacing my garbage disposal and fixing my toilet. He was super friendly and completed...Erik M.
Chase Scott provided great service. Very friendly. He found the problem quickly. He showed me what the issue was a...Jodie B.
& Plumbing Unlimited
Dedicated to friendly & reliable service
We’re dedicated to your comfort
No-nonsense pricing for all services
Factory-trained and certified technicians
100% satisfaction guarantee